Skip to main content

The Fox Issue

(On the Cover: Janelle Garcia as Merila Photo Taken by Monroe Hayden)



I.
Further than Before

(Photo by Kory Green)

It is a good little drive from Downtown San Diego to the top of Mt. Laguna to film the series third installment. It’s about a good hour and twenty minutes, then a fifteen minute hike from the car to the actual location where the crew films. The hike follows no trail. The crew uses landmarks to remember where everything is. Every once in a while, someone will put out a compass but that’s rare. Civilization is about 6,000 feet below and anyone you see up there are sure to disappear within the forest. Everything is so quiet. On several occasions, the wind is so loud that it sounded like a roaring freeway. The trees cut the wind sending off levels of different sounds. Occasionally, you’ll find wildlife passing you by. A cast member walked past a cougar resting on the top of a rock. While a family of deer passed by another on a different day. On foggy days, you can hear wolves howl from a distance. This is as close to Gan Adan as San Diegans can get.

For many, this is the first time filming- anything! The trips up and down the mountain are mixed with a hint of thrill and excitement. For returning cast members, the trip is still new; season two ventured to the desert rather than the cold, snowy mountain tops of Mt. Laguna but waking up early, hiking back and forth and filming in the most obnoxious weather- is something not many returning cast members are too keen on. “I love being outdoors and being in nature, and as much as I love filming- there are mornings where I’m just not that excited to go there [Mt. Laguna]. Once I’m there, I’m good, unless it’s super cold! I can stay for hours but the getting there and back- I hate it,” says Monroe Hayden who plays, Fox. “It takes a lot out of you and you feel it the rest of the week. A lot of us are living off of pain relievers and energy drinks to keep going. For some, it’s dulled our personal lives because we’re so beat.”

(Hunter Tabiendo, Kealoha Nakamura, Sheana Turner and Monroe Hayden chat before filming. /Photo by Kory Green)

“And if you sit on a rock at all- five seconds, five minutes it doesn’t matter- you’ll feel it in your back for the next week,” added Kealoha Nakamura who plays newcomer, Davi of Hacradia.

The road up the mountain twirls. Some days it’s a calm drive, others it’s windy, while some offer icy roads or snow. Why would this be important? Why would driving up semi- dangerous roads be worth filming? Why would feeling exhausted for weeks be worth it? Why can’t they film where they shot before [Mission Trails]?Monroe is a such talented filmmaker. She has an eye and mind for detail and creativity. The idea behind Mt. Laguna versus Mission Trails is that we’re exploring different countries in Gan Adan. You can’t just move 50ft to the left and say it’s a new country,” explained Nakamura.

“Although, that is kinda’ what we did eventually,” joked Monroe Hayden.

And it was in that moment where I realized just how big of a scale this show actually is. Although it’s not Game of Thrones, it’s definitely got the same determination and feel. Before filming, the crew location scouted, venturing further than many of them have been before for film. Snow is a new thing we haven’t seen in Fox. Even though season one took place in North Dakota and an episode featured Xander and Fox meeting inside a car during the holidays- viewers still didn’t get to see snow. The added element adds to the quality of the production.

“It locks me into the character more. I look around and I see all this nature and I’m not distracted by planes, stores, gas stations- all that buzz from the city. I get a real sense of focus and it’s easy to believe that Mt. Laguna is part of Gan Adan,” continued Nakamura. “Being from San Diego you don’t see things like snow and the first time I saw it all, it was breathtaking. The mountains also give me this sense of awe when I look at how massive they are and how they’re all around us. I’m a city kid and my idea of nature is the beach, so to go to the opposite end of the spectrum with snow and trees and mountains, it’s amazing.”



(Danial Andrade / Photo by Monroe Hayden)

Mt. Laguna is truly stunning in real life, especially in the snow. Being so high up and closer to the clouds, seeing them zoom by is especially mesmerizing. Also, there are moments where it is truly quiet [as in no wind, no birds, no other human beings or cars or sounds of civilization] and it’s a feeling that I can't quite describe. It's beautiful, unsettling, and mysterious all at the same time,” adds Daniel Andrade, who plays Prince Orasmin of Xoatia.

As exhausting as it is to film, it is certainly paying off. Not only does the location serve as a fantastic backdrop but the devotion and talent of the cast and crew shows within every frame, supporting that the setting of the show, is like a character itself.


II.
The Brotherhood



I’m not an actor but I would assume that auditioning to be a part of this show is a very exciting process and to be offered a role must be more exciting- especially since for many, this is their first time, however, creator Monroe Hayden wrote three characters in just for the actors. “Davi was someone I wanted for Season 4 and would have been lucky to find for 3. I was introduced to Kealoha through Angel [New] and he really impressed me during his interview. I didn’t audition him, I felt it in my gut that he was a right fit and I could learn something from him, so I wrote him Davi,” Hayden explained.

I actually connected with Skysoft in the most random way,” added Nakamura. “I was working with Angel Nyx New [Rebecca Spears] on another project and she told me about Monroe and the crew and I asked her if there were any roles open to audition. She said she would text Monroe about me and gave me the company’s email, which I followed up literally 30 seconds after [laughs]. One thing led to another and now I’m here with a great cast and great friends. So thank you Angel!”

(Janelle Garcia and Monroe Hayden are all smiles, even in freezing weather battling snow and rain. / Photo by Kory Green)

Working together in bringing a show to life from paper to screen unites the team in the most heartwarming way. “We are a family full of support for one another. Every unique personality in Fox brings a new perspective and element to our project. They make me laugh and I look forward to spending 5+ hours with them in the middle of nowhere,” Janelle Garcia, who returns as Merila, explains.  “My life has changed because I realize what it takes to create and bring a character to life. Merila is exciting to me, but becoming the Queen of Mean took some time and research. I fell in love with being Merila and connecting with my dark side. From script reading, to make up tutorials, to fight camp, I have gained lifelong skills and memories that will help me pursue future opportunities.”

(The hike up and down the mountain is always approached best as a march. /Photo by Kory Green)

Working with the cast is such a thrill. Everyone is so warm and welcoming and we all have a really fun time on set! We love to joke around with each other and laugh, which makes the day just fly by! But when we get into our roles, we all take them very seriously and are very dedicated to portraying the story as best we can. We all help each other out as well, we know that it isn't always easy to memorize our lines, especially when we have other commitments in our lives- so we do whatever we can to help each other throughout the day,” adds Andrade.  “My life has changed for the better since joining the cast. I have a new set of friends that have now become like family to me. I know I can count on them for anything, on or off set, and vice versa. It's amazing how quickly we became such a tight unit; we connect on so many levels, it's easy to talk to them about anything.”

“Well, for one thing I am definitely outdoors a lot more,” jokes JadeVourkari, who is now playing Daisy Peterson. “I’ve been living with diagnosed depression and chronic anxiety (usually something I keep to myself) so getting excited to go outdoors again has really helped my spirit.   I’m feeling more confident and less insecure about myself. I’m learning to be strong just like Daisy.  I’m so blessed and thankful to be a part of the cast.  I will be forever thankful to Monroe for giving me the chance to be a part of something bigger.”

 “I love the cast!” Steven Acedo, who returns as Rath, adds. “Everyone gets along and we all love gettin' our costumes on and and having fun.  We get together outside of shoots as well so it's a good time with great people.”

(Sheana Turner steals body heat from Jade Vourkari./Photo by Kory Green)


At first I thought that everyone was just saying nice things because it was protocol but after seeing some of the behind the scenes footage and a cute ‘thank you’ video message made by Kealoha Nakamura (featured on the website) I found that their bond is pure and they genuinely enjoy their time together.
III.
To The Stars


(Press Photo by NiftyFifty Media)

Learning how to act in front of the camera is a very big lesson, “This was my first time acting, so I'm still learning how to play a character and how to connect with the world that I'm now being put in,” says Andrade. “Orasmin and I have a lot in common, so I try to imagine what I would do in similar situations and put that on the screen.”

(Monroe Hayden walks Janelle Garcia and Jade Vourkari through a scene even with a fever./ Photo by Kory Green)

“Merila's inspiration came from a jaguar. Merila stalks, taunts, and is devious. Just like a jaguar going in for a kill,” adds Garcia. “Coming from a background of dancing and performing, I never expected to use my training to pursue acting. There is so much intensity with eye contact and emotions that happen in a scene. When we are filming, it almost feels real, which creates an amazing artistic atmosphere. Filmmaking and acting is much more than telling a story. As artists, we want the viewers to see that we are putting our emotions into the characters to make them real. We want you to feel the emotions right from your screen. I also learned that patience when filming is key. From the script, to the choreography, cinematography and the actors, every detail counts.”

Relating to characters makes films that much more powerful and it’s no different for actors. If they can relate to their characters in any way, they can portray them more believably. “I can definitely say that both Daisy and I are still learning about ourselves and trying to find a way in life,” Vourkari explains. “We both have expectations of us that we aren’t 100% sure if it is really the right path or not.  We differ however because Daisy is feisty and brave whereas I don’t see myself like that.  Playing Daisy is helping me learn to stand up for myself, draw strength, and get out of that victim mentality.”

(Photo by Kory Green)

“As I’ve gotten older, I definitely relate more to Fox- especially this season but I also believe that the longer you play a character the more you two start to melt together,” Hayden reluctantly answers. “While filming, you’re in this constant state of, ‘who is this person and why is she doing this?’ Once you start figuring out who she is, then you start to understand her and think like her. She’s always in the back of my mind, so it’s genuinely hard to escape her. I sound crazy, don’t I? It was inevitable to relate to her at some point but I also wrote the show, so I feel I may be setting myself up to relate to her more or have her reflect me instead.”

“To be honest,” Garcia adds, “I do believe I relate to Merila. She fights her weaknesses internally, and no one sees that side of her. When she is around other people, she is strong. She wants to always have this presence of being tough and unbreakable. My internal weakness is my fight with anxiety. I feel a wave of embarrassment and don't want other people to know. I fear being weak and fragile, and letting others take advantage of me. Although Merila has clearly earned herself the title ‘The Queen of Mean’, she is hiding her emotions and refuses others to know that she has a hint of weakness.”

However, maybe relating to your character is not so much of a good thing for some, “I hope I'm not like him!” Steven Acedo, who plays Rath, adds. “I like to think I'm more of a good person in real life as opposed to Rath. He loves to be evil.  He's good at it.”

(Photo by Monroe Hayden)

“I’m very much the opposite of Davi,” Nakamura says. “I think everyone will see his little teenage rebel phase with the Brotherhood early on. He’s very cold and closed off and doesn’t trust anyone else whereas I’m outgoing and I love to make new friends. The only thing I can probably relate to with Davi is his athletic ability because whatever I can do in actions scenes, Davi does. Oh and I hate being cold, absolutely cannot stand it.”

The final product is proof of the hard work and dedication that the entire team has put into this project, a project that has slowly become a way of life for some. Throughout production, people came and went, regardless of the nature of their departure, it came with great sacrifice and consequences for everyone involved.

“It is a bummer to see our cast members have to leave,” explains Garcia. “Those who stay sometimes have to add more scenes for their character and possibly learn a new script. Fox requires a lot of dedication. Our team stays optimistic and we are lucky to find new actors to fill the roles, sometimes at short notice.  Our fans are very lucky with all the new faces you get to see this season!”

“While I'm sure it doesn't affect me in quite the same way as Monroe and Hunter, I can relate to the feeling of having something so perfectly planned and then having it not work out as intended,” adds Andrade. “It's always very frustrating, but as they say, ‘the show must go on’, and in that regard, I have to give massive props to them for dealing with these issues so professionally and with such creativity and ingenuity. The hardest part about replacing actors that I've noticed is, getting them acquainted with the lore and back story and motivations behind the characters- as well as getting them comfortable with working with the rest of us who have been fortunate enough to establish a strong connection with each other.

(Janelle Garcia takes direction from Monroe Hayden. / Photo by Kory Green)

“We have a really good group that is flexible and everyone wants to do this project and give it their all so I think that whole cooperation is a major key. Plus we have a great leader in Monroe that it’s easy to follow,” says Nakamura.

“Usually, more time is asked of our cast and crew,” Hayden finishes the conversation. “If someone drops out that’s more delay to the entire production. The editors can’t finish because we’re not filming. The composers can’t finish because there is nothing to compose to. Journalists like you, have to wait or rewrite your piece because changes are in the works. Special Effects has to wait because there is nothing to work on. It just makes everyone wait which is why I make decisions so quickly. Out of consideration of the entire production and everyone involved, it’s crucial to keep things moving because it’s more than just one person who is being affected. Sometimes we replace the actor and sometimes we write them out. If we write them out, that means we have to rewrite something to replace that bit which means, we have to ask more time of other actors and more effort. Sometimes they have to learn more lines or we change their significance in the entire story. For most of the actors, I’ve found that they are more than willing to have more screen time, even if it means sacrificing a days out with friends and in some cases, a work day. Other actors have their time on screen reduced greatly mostly due to not being able to show up when the schedule was released. But bottom line, there are consequences- both good and bad, but the people in my position have to find a way to get the production done and even that comes with a price; Hunter and I have gone through so much emotional and physical strain just to keep this going and keep everyone encouraged and inspired but we made it to the finish line… barely.”

When I asked what those actors are doing now she replied, “I don’t know, they’re out there doing whatever and I’m here,” she looks back at the official poster, “doing this.”

(Sheana Turner, Hunter Tabiendo, Monroe Hayden, Daniel Andrade, Kealoha Nakamura and Jade Vourkari pose for the camera. / Photo by Kory Green)

The show, since its premiere has made history as being the ‘1st Racially Diverse Show in a Drama’ with an having entire cast of “minorities” as well as transcending traditional barriers and tropes. Whatever those other people are doing, they’re probably not making history or breaking the social norm to promote a more equal workplace of opportunities.

“I think it's amazing to be involved in such a progressive and relevant story, especially with such a beautifully diverse cast,” Andrade leads the conversation. “It really does feel like being part of a larger movement, especially in a world where representation in film and media is so important. I'm thankful the LGBT community is finally getting more representation on screen as well, it's very important to the community to have characters they can relate to. It's funny, when I was younger my friends and I would have fun hypothetical conversations about who would play us if they ever made a movie about our lives, and while my white and even some of my African American friends had a variety of actors they could choose from, it was harder for me to pick just one person that looked like me. The fact that I now have the opportunity to portray someone that looks the way I do is exciting, and I hope it inspires others like me to pursue acting as well!

(Jade Vourkari and Monroe Hayden as Daisy and Fox. Photo by Hunter Tabiendo)

“To be honest, I was just happy to have gotten the gig,” explains Vourkari. “It wasn’t until reading the full script and discussing it with Monroe that I was able to see the bigger picture of Fox. I honestly do feel like I am part of a movement not just for strong female leads but also for the LGBTQ community.

“We are at a time in our lives where artists are pushing the boundaries,” Garcia adds. “Personally, I have been put into situations in the past where I was uncomfortable but I was expected to deal with it because that was job/role. I appreciate the creators of Fox for understanding the importance of how they wanted their female characters to be portrayed. After reading the script, I realized we are part of a movement. This is a purpose I have wanted to fulfill and make a change. We can totally be tough girls who know how to fight off Dream Demons.”

And by all means, with people like them, more people will be able to face the demons of the past and be represented in the media, so thank you to the cast for being the faces of that movement.

(Monroe Hayden and Hunter Tabiendo by Kory Green)

Written by Jen Sanchez


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fox: Season IV (Special Edition) now available

Fox ’s Special Edition is the director’s cut of the 2019 American fantasy series Fox: Season IV . It presents the final season as director Monroe Hayden had intended it before interference with investors. Hayden oversaw the original versions of Fox ’s Seasons 3 and 4’s in accordance with a mandate from the show’s investors with a more traditional score, abandoning Season 2’s musical platform that featured original compositions from four composers, including Hayden.  The switch was not taken lightly, but she proceeded anyway. However, in the event of 365: Season 2’s flop, investors pressured her to take the season down within 24 hours. Less than a year later, she re-released the season on the site only to receive backlash from fans, as well as the same investors. The decision to take it down for good inspired her to buy the investors out with interest. By January 2021, she had bought them out, in full, and now has complete control, particularly with the Fox franchise. Although it’s

The Films That Changed Our Lives: Titanic

Image Courtesy of © SkySoft Entertainment, © Paramount Pictures, and © 20th Century Fox Introduction   b y Monroe Hayden Since this podcast was my idea, it seemed only right for me to start things off, and what better way than to start off with the most popular movie of all time? Yes, even more popular than Endgame because, believe it or not, not everyone knows Endgame , not everyone has seen Endgame but our first film that we’ll be discussing, everyone has heard of it, and the majority of the people on earth have seen this movie. You may not like it, but there’s no denying it! It’s the blockbuster of all blockbusters- you know it’s true! It doesn’t get any bigger than James Cameron ’s Titanic . The actual Titanic may have struck an iceberg and sunk to the bottom of the Atlantic back in 1912, but the 1997 film was a big Hollywood-hit and did everything but sink. It was the first movie to ever reach over 1 billion dollars in ticket sales. Its record was broken by James Cameron’s Avata

Your Favorite Shows Will Be Available For A Limited Time!

All SkySoft shows will no longer be streaming all year long starting February 20th . Instead, our shows will only be available for a limited time but will remain free.  So, what does this mean?  It means all our shows will return for a limited time but will no longer be available whenever but when they do return- they will remain for free. Ok, when will my favorite show return?  Here's our schedule for previous shows: FOX: Previous seasons will return every July 1st Season III will premiere on July 30th. 365: Previous seasons will return every November 10  Great! So what about upcoming shows? Our future greenlit shows like, the new Robin Hood series, Sherwood, will premiere in 2019 or 2020. Mutant 5 will premiere in 2019. Why are you making your shows limited? Our creators, actors, producers, writers, composers, cinematographers, artists and office heads, work seriously hard so you can watch our work. We all spend countless hours of our day trying t